Tuesday, April 07, 2009

What is wrong with being left-handed?

You know, I have some relatives who kept forcing their toddlers to use their right-hand, whether if they are learning how to hold utensils or pencils, even though they have an inclination towards left-handedness.


I am a left-hander, and when I was young I was forced to eat using my right-hand by my parents. In the end, they gave up when I cried non-stop.

So yes, I'm left-handed and has a certain amount of ambidexterity, like using mouse with my right-hand (duh) etc.


Other then that, I'm pretty much left-handed in my everyday life.

In this right-handed world, whereby 93% of the adult population are right-handed, left-handers like us face problems sometimes.


tyroneturner.blogspot.com

For example while writing in compositions, I always get my hand smudge with ink when I write with my left-hand. Whenever I go out with my friends, our watches tend to knock against each other, which we will try to be mindful to make sure it does not happen again.

Back to the topic of forcing toddlers to use their right-hand, a quick check with Wikipedia shows that left-handedness is associated with superstition and many languages in a negative way.

These are some of their meanings in regard with "left": Clumsy, Improper, Awkward, Wrong, Illegal, Immoral, and Evil etc.

Seriously?!

I never expected such stigma to be associated with left-handed people, but how come they failed to realise that left-handed people are associated with intelligence? 

Im not self-aggrandizing here, but guess what? The President of United States Barack Obama is left-handed too!



www.washingtontimes.com


So come on people! There's nothing wrong being left-handed, and to hell with stigma associated with left-handedness! It's the 21st century!

No comments: