Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Photojournalism.

One of my biggest exposure to reality is by Photojournalism, whereby it is a form a journalism that uses photographs/images to tell a story. We had to choose our topics and take pictures of them. It sounds easy, but it was one of the most difficult things that I have to do.
My chosen topic:

"Old people who collects rubbish for a living."

It was a difficult and ambitious topic, as I have to rely on luck most of the time.




In order to take good photographs, there are only 2 ways you can do it: Ask the person for permission or secretly take it.

Asking for permission is extremely difficult, as you know some old people can be grumpy, and they doesn't look affable and friendly at all.



Anyway, with the help of my friend, I managed to locate the pickup point where these rubbish collectors sell their stuff to in Chinatown. Being rather polite and respectful, I asked the seller if I could take pictures of these rubbish collectors.






She said it was best that I ask their permission because of respect. I agreed.



When some of the rubbish collectors came to sell their stuff, they looked at me warily. I explained to them I was from an institution and am doing a project on this topic, and asked if they could allow me to take their photos.



They blatantly refused despite my insistence that I wasn't a reporter. They say they were being photographed secretly and was put into the local chinese newspaper, Lianhe ZaoBao. Some of the reporters even tailed them all the way to their houses and snap pictures of them.








As a result, they were subjected to condemnation from their children, and their children felt it was extremely humiliating for them.



One told me how poor she was, and she couldn't apply any welfare scheme because his son is 15 years old.

You could hear her voice trembling as if she's on the verge of crying. Her face had so many wrinkles, each probably represents the hardships she has been through.


"The landlord increased my rental from $33 to $110 per month! Tell me how am I going to survive?! My son is only 15 years old and he still needs to study! The government kept saying there is growth in economy, but how come people like us aren't able to enjoy?"




I was stunned. I didn't know what to reply her. An old woman telling me her sad plight, and all I could do is to offer her my listening ear. I'm not a goverment official or some welfare officer. I'm just only a student.




I mean, Singapore is one of the top cities in the world to live in, and I find it hard to believe that such plights exists in Singapore.


The only thing I could do was to console her, and wished her all the best. Then, she went to elsewhere to collect her stuff again..


I was emotionally in a turmoil and in a dilemma as well.


My purpose was to take photographs to highlight their plight. And they didn't allow me to because of their phobia of reporters and condemnation from their children. But yet if I secretly take their pictures, then I'm not showing any empathy at all.





If I don't practise what I preach, who am I to tell people what to do?

I was simply torn apart.

Thankfully, I managed to go other places and there were 2 whom allowed me to take photos.

Usually when I asked these old people for permission, I usually say if I can treat them lunch or a drink, given by their plight.


But there was this old lady who comes to this particular block from 5.30am onwards to collect rubbish told me:


"Little boy, I don't want your 5 cents or 10 cents. I only spend money that I earn myself."






At that point, I was dumbstruck and speechless. Her strong-willingness is something that I'll never learn, and I will never be able to possess. The only thing I did was to carry some styrofoam boxes and plastic bags for her from the garbage bin.



I think after all these experiences, I really mellowed. I used to take things for granted every now and then. But now, I appreciates the things I have, although I still take things for granted once in a while.


These images and words will etched in my memory, and it will serve as a reminder of how lucky I am.


But I pray and wish that these old folks will no longer do such jobs anymore, and may they get out of poverty. These old folks deserve a good life after experiencing so much in life.





And I hope they know that when there's a will, there's a way. They will be able to see and experience light at the end of the tunnel.



No comments: