Thursday, January 29, 2009

Chinese New Year Celebrations.

This year's Chinese New Year celebrations was not as happening compared to the past few years. The mood wasn't there. Some relatives were absent, some weren't even close. But I guess it's also a time for us to take a look and catching up with one another, probably talking about grades or work.

Speaking of which, I think one of my cousins scored 9As for her 'O' levels this year. She's pretty and smart. Talk about beauty and brains! Sometimes, I just feel so inferior compared to them. I guess life's like that, especially when your family are educated-driven people. You start to put stress on yourselves and you just feel inferior. But then again I should look on the bright side and be happy for her.

Yeah, that's right. Be merry in Chinese New Year!


Had my reunion dinner with the relatives, and we celebrated it at my paternal grandmother's house. I love and respect her a lot. She's like the matriarch of the family, taking care of everything despite her age.

My dialect group is Hakka, so most of the time we have to eat traditional dishes like the Abacus Beads, which is sliced yam cooked with minced pork and other stuff:



Just in case you're wondering, the reason why it is named Abacus beads is because the Hakka believes that it will bring in more money, just like how you count your money with abacus in the olden days!

On the first day of Chinese New Year was rather boring, except to collect red packets from relatives.


Just some pictures...



My eldest cousin in the middle, with my younger brother.

Yes, my brother is TALLER than me. But it seems to be the case for my family line!


My brother again...



With my eldest cousin, Jace again.
She's actually 26, and I'm going to be the first to join the ranks of the decade of 20s after her!


Another of my beloved cousin, Ningning..

On the second day of Chinese New Year,


went to my maternal grandparents' house for lunch..


Steamboat!



My favourite food: Breaded prawns!



And I finally get to see my beloved little girl.. Kayley!


She loves watching Barney.


When I sang: I love you, you love me, we are one big family.......... and she will give me very cute hand gestures!

I like it how every single one of us garnered our attention for the little one, observing each and every move of hers and get amused easily.

My grandparents and Kayley..

When I saw my grandparents laughed and smiled at the actions of Kayley, I felt touched and my heart felt happy. Perhaps it's because they went through a lot of hardships and I rarely see them smile.


Ahh, and they commented my hair looked like it was being blown by some huge winds or something.


I can't help but agree:


I just look weird in this photo, probably because of the fringes that are missing.



And of course, I resumed my bingeing on Chinese New Year goodies. I suddenly find it so ironic that I hate pineapples as fruits, but I simply adore pineapple tarts in Chinese New Year. And contrary to the belief, I don't really eat much of barbequeued pork in Chinese New Year.



I shall end it here, and with around 3 weeks or so before holidays begin, I have A LOT of projects in hand!





Hope you guys have fun during your Chinese New Year and for those who doesn't, hope you had great holidays too!

No comments: