Monday, August 17, 2009

The Problem With Diving.

My dad was trying to coax me not to go diving this coming October, as he thought it was dangerous, due to the recent news of Bali drownings. He further on talks about how dangerous diving is, and how he had rubbed shoulders with death when he was swimming in Desaru, Malaysia.

This topic has come up to me umpteen times, but I just want to address it one last time.

Call me stubborn, headstrong, or whatever but I personally think that nobody should stop me from going for my passion.

Sure, diving is dangerous. But I treasure my life, and I will be extra careful. And my dad, who attempts to coax me not to go, is not convincing me because he drinks and smokes. Both activities already had a toll on his body after over 20 years.

(Oh yes, he saw a project that I did in Year 1 whereby it was a perfume bottle concept and I constructed it to look like a coffin. (Polytechnic friends, Mr Ayob's balsa wood, remember?) Guess what? He said I left such things at home, that's why he had heart problems, yada yada and other nonsense. Then, he threw that model away. How ridiculous?)

Back to the topic, I just feel that he is not in a position to talk me out, but could rather care and show some concern, because he is doing stuff that is dangerous to himself as well. Plus, I have the mentality that if a person's time is up, his time is up.

Let's give an analogy. If you have been a safe driver, abiding to road safety and rules, and suddenly a drunk driver rams you right at the back of your car. You're killed.

Who do you blame? Your rotten luck that got you killed? Does that justify your death?

No matter what, let's just say that nobody can stop me from pursuing my passion.
(I can hear you adults say: Forget it, you will understand when you have children next time.)

Oh no, I just doesn't like the direction of where this post is heading. Shall stop here.

No comments: