Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Bird flu: Inevitable.

I've just received the diving photos from FishermenScuba, and I must say that it was extremely disappointing to see that the other groups besides Sin Wee's group did not get to took pictures while underwater. I was pretty sad, but was comforted that the pictures were pretty good.



And I have something serious to discuss about; my opinion of the bird flu. I believe that a bird flu pandemic is inevitable. The H5N1 is extremely dangerous. It has the ability to mutate and may pass the virus to humans. And it will be a person to person transmission.


What was more startling is the fact that a similar virus took an estimated of 30-40 million lives in 1918!!! That's one-tenth of Singapore's population! Last year, an UN official even warned that the bird flu could snuff out the lives of 150 million people.

Nowadays, we have vaccines and drugs to curb the virus. Wait a minute. The only effective anti-viral drug is Tamiflu. Mark my words. There is only one. What if the virus starts to build resistance to it? Could it be the end of the world?

The virus is not just reported in Asia, but in certain parts of Europe as well. I believe that the recent reports of the bird flu over the past few years are an indication/warning that a bird flu pandemic is going to happen. And mind you, I am not alone with this belief.

"World Health Organisation (WHO) also thinks that the world is closer to a flu pandemic than at anytime since the 1968, when the last 20th century's three pandemics occured." -BBC NEWS


Now if that happens, the question is "How many people are going to die?"

No comments: