Saturday, March 11, 2006

Singapore Secondary Schools Debate Championships 2006.

Mr Malvin Lim approached me yesterday, asking me to be a chairman of a debate. I told him I had no idea how to do it, and he said not to worry.


I grabbed this opportunity to try to practise English Oral.


There were lots of schools participating, and North Vista Sec was the host. There were prestigious schools such as Raffles Institution and Nanyang Girls School. If my mind serves me right, there are 72 schools participating.


Well anyway, lets talk about my experience. I had to be the chairperson for these 2 debates.






And these are the debate topics...






For the 7.15pm debate, I flunked it all. It was Bendemeer Secondary School vs Jurong West Secondary School. I was the chairperson and at the start when I read, I read the wrong division for the debate. I then read out.. My heart was thumping fast and I experienced wobbly legs. Luckily, I didn't stammer. But the later part, when I was suppose to introduce the opposition team Reply Speech. I spoke the wrong name 2 TIMES! The debaters were like "Huh?" I made a fool out of myself and apologised to the audience.

In the whole debate, it was pretty exciting, but personally, I felt that Jurong West had a great tactic. One of their friends timed once they start speaking, same as the timekeeper. Their friend then used hand signals to describe 3 minutes, or 3 and a half minutes. I was impressed. Both sides did very well in the debate, but in the end, the Jurong West Sec won.



Since the flunk, I promised myself to better in the 8.15pm debate. And yeah, I did well and everything went smoothly.

This debate was very very exciting and interesting. Some of them were sarcastic, and both rained attacks and countered each other.

When the injuditory gave me the results, Jeanne and I took a peek at who won. And these debaters friends all looked at me, hoping that my face would give the results away. But it proved to be useless.

And Maris Stella got the win.


Coincidentally, both were opposition sides.


I really enjoyed these debate sessions. I had great deal of experience and would like to thank Mr Malvin Lim for it.


Geez, being a chairperson is really cool!

No comments: