Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I'll never donate to charity TV shows again.

Singaporeans know about the National Kidney Foundation (NKF) saga, in which they rake in millions of dollars donated by Singaporeans in their TV shows and embezzled the funds, revealing a number of things such as alleged mismanagement, breach of duty and alot more stuff.


Personally, I was rather perturbed by what was happening, and I was disappointed with NKF, because I respected it a lot, only to learnt that the money donated wasn't really going to the kidney patients.


The idiom, "Once bitten, Twice Shy" was applied to me in this context, and I was rather wary of those charities.


After the NKF saga, Ren Ci hospital continued to carry on its charity shows, and the response was good.


Venerable Ming Yi, who was the face of Ren Ci was often seen as someone filled with kindness, and his altruistic behaviour.


Image courtesy of Mediacorptv.com


NOT ANYMORE.


He is charged with alleged forgery, conspiracy and misuse of funds.


This morning, he was slapped with 10 charges and currently he is out on a $200,000 bail.

It is said that there were questionable loans amounting to several million dollars from the hospital, and that some of it were given to companies with links to Venerable Shi Yi.


I was rather shocked when I saw this news, and what really convinced me is that I'll never donate to charity tv shows ever again, but only to smaller charities such as Community Chest or those that I see on Flag day.

I can't believe that the monk would ever be linked to such charges, because every time he performed to get people to donate, he seemed to be really genuine and benevolent. And people really believed in him.

Thanks for betraying the trust people had in you, Venerable.

We heard of the idiom ONCE BITTEN, TWICE SHY.

Is there any idiom that is "TWICE BITTEN, THRICE ?????"

No comments: