Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Rest in peace, granduncle..

It was one of the saddest moments of my life. While others were busy celebrating Deepavali, my family received a call, saying that my granduncle had bitten the dust.

His untimely death sent shockwaves throughout the whole family, because no one expected him to die.

He was warded at Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH) because his leg was swollen and started to turn black between blocked veins due to smoking. Being a heavy smoker and a heavy drinker, he became hysterical in the bed and had to be tied up because he was suffering from the withdrawal symptoms of not having to be able to feed his addiction.


During the last few days of his final moments, he insisted on being discharged and went back home. On the last day, he became breathless and very weak. He refused to allow my aunt to call the ambulance. He wanted to die at home.

The saddest thing was that he wasn't able to see his younger daughter. His immediate family was asking him to wait a while longer. But it was not meant to be. His younger daughter rushed down, and was athe foot of the block when he took his final breath. He died with his eyes opened.


When I went to the funeral and saw his lifeless body in the coffin, my body and feelings succumbed to numbness. My mom started weeping, but I just stood there. I could still think that a few weeks ago, he was fine. But suddenly here I am looking at him, dressing smartly and sleeping peacefully.


But the breaking point for me was when my grandfather started to reminisce their childhood memories with his younger brother and started crying. I've never seen him cry in my whole 19 years of life, and the impact was so overwhelming that I simply broke down and cry.


This is the first time that death has occured to my family/relatives as far as I knew, and I wasn't really prepared for this. Why? Why did the Grim Reaper took him away? Or should I say cigarettes took his life away.

I'm still trying to get into terms with his death. It pains me to see that my grandfather, my dad, relatives and friends around me are smoking. I wondered what if they fall victim to smoking just like my granduncle did?

Has it ever occured to them that their actions may cause hurt to their loved ones?


I seriously do not know nor imagine what will happen this Friday, when they will have to cremate my granduncle's body. I simply cannot imagine my granduncle turning into ashes.


Rest in peace granduncle, we will be able to take care of your worries and problems from your departure. We will all miss you.



SIDE NOTE: I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH SOME PEOPLE WHO DECIDED TO GO TO MY GRANDUNCLE'S STALL AND MAKE A MESS OUT OF IT. IF THERE'S A FEUD, BURY THE HATCHET YOU FUCKERS. SOMEONE'S DEAD AND THE FAMILY IS GOING THROUGH A DIFFICULT TIME. YOU EVER HEARD OF SOMETHING CALLED "WHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND?"

YOU EVER HEARD OF KARMA?

STUPID DREGS OF THE SOCIETY AND A LIABILITY TO MANKIND.

No comments: