Wednesday, December 03, 2008

A tribute to my granduncle..

It was the death of my granduncle a few weeks ago, and at that same week I decided to record a song for my granduncle as a form of tribute.

And so, I chose a song named Dance With My Father by the late Luther Vandross.


It was extremely difficult to sing this song, because it was the week of mourning and griefing and I wasn't totally in the mood to sing. The worst part was breaking down while singing, especially the lyrics:

Sometimes I'd listen outside her door
And I'd hear how my mother cried for him
I pray for her even more than me


It somehow made me think of my aunts mourning and weeping for my granduncle.

Finally after many hours of recording and numerous retakes, I managed to record it smoothly. The recording wasn't perfect, but I did my best at that point of time.


If you had heard of the original song Dance With My Father by Luther Vandross, you would have known that our direction for the song is different. However, I really hope that my rendition of the song will do some justice to the great man himself.

If possible, do give me some feedback and ratings for the song ya? Thanks.




Granduncle, I know that you will hear this song somehow. I hope you know that all of us will remember and love you. This is for you, Granduncle..


Dance With My Father - Luther Vandross




Lyrics:

Back when I was a child, before life removed all the innocence
My father would lift me high and dance with my mother and me and then
Spin me around 'til I fell asleep
Then up the stairs he would carry me
And I knew for sure I was loved


If I could get another chance, another walk, another dance with him
I'd play a song that would never, ever end
How I'd love, love, love
To dance with my father again


When I and my mother would disagree
To get my way, I would run from her to him
He'd make me laugh just to comfort me
Then finally make me do just what my mama said
Later that night when I was asleep
He left a dollar under my sheet
Never dreamed that he would be gone from me


If I could steal one final glance, one final step, one final dance with him
I'd play a song that would never, ever end
'Cause I'd love, love, love
To dance with my father again


Sometimes I'd listen outside her door
And I'd hear how my mother how she cried for him
I pray for her even more than me
I pray for her even more than me


I know I'm praying for much too much
But could you send back the only man she loved
I know you don't do it usually
But dear Lord she's dying
To dance with my father again
Every night I fall asleep and this is all I ever dream




Note: Different web browsers might cause the player to autoplay

No comments: