Sunday, August 24, 2008

Cambodia..

I'm flying off to Cambodia next Sunday, which I will be doing voluntary work with the rest of the 15 people.

I'll going to be there for 16 days, which is the longest trip that I'll be staying in any foreign country.

The main reason why I'm going there is to experience something new. Deep inside, I really wanted to see a different change of enviroment, a different change of life, and most importantly, a different change of perspective.


Technically speaking, I'm considered lucky to be born in a developed country, and often than not, I take things for granted. Everything.


Electricity, Water, Food, Peace, Family... in fact I had most of the things I wanted in life.

I've once read a Singaporean's blog when he went to Cambodia as a student for a few years, and when he came back, he sat down at one of the cafes at Plaza Singapura. He was so disgusted when he saw youngsters buying branded stuff and splurging money on what he deemed as unnecessary stuff.

But he added "Who am I to judge them when I was previously one of them? In Cambodia, most people live less than US$2 a day, and here I am back in Singapore seeing all my countrymen spending on so much stuff."

I don't think I will be so affected and share fully his sentiments during my 16 days at Cambodia.

However, I will be going to Cambodia with a light-hearted mind, and shall refuse to tell myself what I'm prepared to see there.

Sometimes, when you know that when you are going to experience something different, your mind has already understood that it is going to be something different, and when it is meant to be a shock, it is no longer a shock anymore.


On another contradicting note, this is most likely my first and last trip for voluntary work. I need money really badly due to certain circumstances, and I thought it was unwise for me to go for such voluntary work for 16 days, where I can earn around hundreds of dollars in 16 days. But then again, the voluntary work was once in a lifetime, and it was a life-changing experience.


Contradicting, I know. But since I'm already confirmed going there, I'll make the best out of it.

No comments: