Thursday, April 07, 2005

I blog especially early because I was on clouds nine. Overjoyed. North Vista Chorale achieved a Silver Award for SYF Central Judging 2005.

Well, I woke up at around 4.30am but suddenly doze off until 5am. I bathed and did all the necessities. After eating my breakfast and putting on my contact lenses, I rushed to school. Luckily, I managed to catch up with the bus and reached school at 5.50am. We did some stretching exercises and warm ourselves up. After that, we went to change into our costumes. God, I was forced to put on make-up after that.. Argh.. Anyway, we went through our songs with Mr Francis Liew and after that, we board the bus to go to Singapore Conference Hall. When we reached our destination, we went to the toilet and than to the waiting room. Mr Yong (Did I spell it correctly?) (Vice-Principal) was also in the room. We did our final brush up and going through all the scores thoroughly, before the judging begins. Mr Yong pat me in my back and wished me good luck. Than, the awaited time begun. There are around 3 choirs watching us in the front row and the 4 respected judges are in the upper row. Some came from United Kingdom, Indonesia, etc. Ms Lim started giving the notes for the set piece, Sunset, while Mr Liew conduct.. We sang through all of them. Sunset, Resonemus Laudibus and Potong Padi. After the singing, we received loud applause. We walk down through those doors and begin to get seated to watch 5 choirs. Well, we watch North View Sec, Catholic High, Bukit Batok Sec, Bedok View Sec and I forgot the other one. However, Catholic High was the best among all. They were a Gold boys choir conducted by Mr Nelson Kwei.. They sang very well, doing all the dynamics very well. Their soprano was so.. I am speechless. One of them were someone I knew, he was in the Singapore Lyrics Opera and we lost to them in the Sound Of Music.. Needless to say, they got Gold with honours for SYF. Anyway, some of the pieces other choir used for SYF were what we learned before.. After watching 5 choirs.. most of us had to returned back to school for lessons, and committee members were allowed to stay back for the results.. We were quite anxious.. We returned to school and we received alot of attention. We changed back to our costumes and went to the canteen for food. Suddenly while we were eating, some of the girls started screaming. North Vista Chorale had achieved Silver. Some cried.. we felt happy. You know, being the first in among the performing arts to go SYF is a stressed thing, back to the fact that some had lost their voice or affected it in last week's Sec 3 camp. And a few days later, we had to go to SYF. The whole canteen were filled with happiness and joy. We felt good, and happy. After that, the news spread like wildfire. Of course there are some people who talked bad about choir, but I talked back with sarcasm..

I've heard that some band members said "If Choir get silver, Band sure get Gold." Well, I seriously condemn that sentence. Every performing art has it's own judging criteria. And in the eyes of some band members, they look down on Choir. They seemed to forget that Choir got an International Silver back ago and only cared what we achieved on the SYF Central Judging 2002. Which is Bronze. Well, don't get too over-confident or you will make mistakes. All the best for SYF though. We remains friends but not foes.

Congratulations to Shermaine (my cousin) on your school, Tanjong Katong Sec achieving Gold with honour.. I feel so happy for you.. Anyway, I heard that in the SYF 2002, Yio Chu Kang Secondary Choir got Gold but yesterday, they got a bronze. Utter disbelief right?

Last but not least, I would like to thank those people including, graduating seniors, Mr Yong for making the effort to come and support us. You guys believed in us and we made it. For the better. Thank you God, for my prayers were answered. Thank you, my reader for spending time reading. God bless you and everyone in the world. My sincere wishes.

No comments: