Saturday, October 01, 2005

Hard work pays off.

I just came back from school at around 10+. And yes, I spent around 13 hours in school today. I was mentally tired. I spent 6 hours revising Maths and some sections of Geography with Longwen. He was patient and kind enough to teach me.


He went home after that while I went to Rivervale Plaza to have dinner with Jerry, Liang Zhi and Justin. We were having a conversation about the sense of urgency and the importance of 'N' levels. Justin was telling us that he would rely on English, Geography and History. And worse still, he was going to spend the rest of the weekend learning Geography etc. He was boasting how many marks he got for some subjects even though he claims he didn't study. Ironically, he didn't make it to 10 points though.


However, I slapped him with lecturing words and thoughtfully told him to go to the Institute of Technical Education (ITE) if he were to go by his plan. You see, he failed his Maths badly than me. And he didn't intend to revise or study Maths, he wanted to go Secondary 5. I told him, if he were to fail Maths in 'N' levels, it was nearly impossible to make it in Secondary 5. Besides, people such as Longwen and Zi Cai who are taking Express Elementary Maths are struggling, so can we make it? If he fail Maths, he can't go to a Polytechnic, much less a Junior College. So, the only choice was ITE right? If he fails Maths and went to Secondary 5, isn't it a waste of time and money? On that point, he was shocked by my words and reasoning, and he seems to have been "woken up from a coma"; he skipped the night class and went to his relative's house to study Maths. He must have excogitated about my words and decided to do something about it.

(Yes, you may say I am referring to myself, but I've "awoken from a coma long time ago".)


I went to study with Jerry and Zi Cai in the canteen. Zi Cai was patient enough to teach me Maths, and even gave me 2 papers to do. I had to do Serangoon Garden Secondary School Paper 1 within 1 hour and 30 minutes. I did my required work around 45-50 minutes. It was marked by Zi Cai. And guess what? I got 41/60!!! For once, I developed a sense of self-satisfaction and it certainly boost my confidence. I was contented if I got a passing mark. But this remarkable result made me realise that hard work pays off. And I didn't know what got over Zi Cai; he said I should aim an A and asked me to target 50/60.
I said it was ridiculous, but he said I could do it. Others asked me to stop looking lowly on myself.

(I didn't finished Paper 2 because I didn't have any graph papers. Zi Cai asked me to check the answers myself tomorrow and he will go through it.)

I decided to tell myself. Despite getting a desirable result, I will not fall into complacency. No matter what, I will continue to work hard. No matter what grade I get for 'N' levels, be it an A (which I thought it was nearly impossible.) or a failing grade (I seriously hope this will not happen.), I will not regret because I did my best to prove to the world and myself how high I can soar.


I seems to have wings. The feathers on my wings are like friends and teachers, who guide me and gave me motivation. Because without these feathers, I doubt I will be able to do it. These feathers and me will determine how high I will fly and soar in the eternal sky..


God bless everyone.

No comments: