Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The night of regret.

I was reprimanded by my father yesterday. I was in the living room, watching TV, and thinking to turn in. My father then came back and realise he forgot to bring back his handphone and asked me to retrieve it from his car.

I refused, reasoning that it was already 12.35am and said I'll take it for him in the morning. When I was in my bed, going to sleep, he suddenly came out from his bath and called me 'lazy', 'useless'.

He then called my younger brother to take the phone, and my mom accompanied him to go to the carpark, dead of the night. He then further on saying it was just a simple request, and said "What is this kind of son, hmph!" and further on using vulgarities such as "Fuck". I pretended to sleep while I hear his rantings. And he went to my bedroom and said: "Zhao Lun, you hurt me." I apologised and he said: "Sorry, no use." He then threatened by not paying the electricity bills and sees how we feel, using an indignant tone throughout the whole reprimanding.



Perhaps I should have known better to obey him. And this is probably the first time my refusal irritated him and he scolded me. Yes, he only eats his dinner at around 12am and I should go and help him. But I didn't realise that. I just refused without thinking. Maybe I should obey his instructions even though it is already late in the night.


But then again, he called me lazy, useless. Just for this SIMPLE request? He's hurt, I'm not?

He asks me to look at his perspective. He's tired after the work, he hasn't taken his dinner etc. Yes, I understand that. I fully understands that.

Why not he takes a look at my perspective? I'm tired, it's already 12.35am. And to take a handphone in the dead of the night is something uncommon.



I excogitated, and felt I should relent and obey him. He's my father. I can't do anything against him. Maybe this incident may deteriorates the relationship between me and my father.

It may be a controversial issue, but I still have to obey him without any choice.
Sorry, dad.

No comments: