Thursday, October 27, 2005

The Blog and The Law.

Mr Reduan, our Discipline Master talked to us in the morning assembly about blogging. He was asking who owns a blog, and warn the school that defamatory remarks in a blog can be sued. He even went to the extend of explaining the meaning of a personal diary and a blog.


Also, if my mind serves me right, he said that we doesn't know how to blog properly. He reminds us about the Friendster case that happened last year, and that he wanted to wear his police uniform when he decided to talk about this subject. He also said he had people who will inform him about offensive blogs; probably students, adding on to constantly remind the school that he is both a discipline master and a police officer.


Being a blogger myself, I know that if you defame somebody, you can be sued depending on the situation.


But have you ever asked yourself why are you being defamed?


Instead of threatening or warn bloggers that they can be sued, why not ask them why did they do such a thing? Listen to their comments and do some soul-searching. Put yourself in each other shoes and excogitate. Personally, I feel that when someone defames a person, it shouldn't be done maliciously, and when I mean maliciously, I mean overboard. If they do it overboard, they will repent and regret, but on the othe hand, you must also think about your own actions.


So please do not keep using lawsuits or whatsoever to pressure/threaten people. There are definitely other alternative methods to solve defamatory problems.


I wanted to type even more, but it was already late and I felt superfluous to do so.


Either you agree with me, or you don't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

N.J. Students Ordered to Take Down Blogs
A Roman Catholic high school has ordered its students to remove personal blogs from the Internet in the name of protecting them from cyberpredators.
This is a VERY nice blog. I thought your visitors would also benefit from see the cancer new prostate treatment york site at Heal Prostate Cancer. Thank You!