Tuesday, March 13, 2007

One hell of a ride.

I don't wanna keep people in suspense in this post.

My JAE appeal was successful; I'm in Visual Communications at Nanyang Polytechnic.

Okay, I came back from Malaysia yesterday, and I'm fine. (Safe and sound).


Ever since I got into Serangoon Junior College, my life has been one hell of a ride.

Many questions were thrown at me, and I will answer them here.

Reasons why I decided to leave Junior College:


1. I'm a slow-learner.
2. I scored 20 points for L1R5, which is pretty shaky.
3. Only 3 days to cover up syllabuses of various subjects which are covered in the first 3 months.
4. Generally, I found some of the teachers there unhelpful.
5. My Maths and Science got a D7.
6. Even if I do well, I can only go to NUS's School of Architecture etc, which I will not like it.
7. A totally different standard of friends.


I got into a group called Calypso 1, some sort of houses like Gryffindor and Slytherin in Harry Potter's world. Ok, the people there are quite shy, and I communicate with them in English totally. There were quite alot of cute looking girls! I think my group has alot of good-looking people, including boys. And their 'O' level score was so high, I felt inferior. I think I'm the lousiest student at that group.


Still, I made a few friends in my group and would like to thank Jaspreet, Nicholas, Keane, Lynette, Mai and some of the cool people in my group. It's really great speaking to you guys, especially with the contagious laughter! I won't be joining you guys in the pursuit of good grades in 'A' levels, so you guys must take care! I'm sure you all will do well. You guys will have my support! I will miss all of you and the cheers!


I handed my withdrawal form to Serangoon Junior College today, and there was this teacher called Mr Phillip Tan who has my utmost respect. He saw me at the General Office and asked me why I was there. I told him I was withdrawing and that I'm going to a polytechnic.


"Congratulations James. You decided to choose this route and I wish you all the best."


Upon that, we shook hands firmly and I left the school compound.

I can still say I'm an ex-SRJCian.

I will do what I promised God when he answers my prayers into going to a polytechnic; becoming a vegetarian for 2 weeks.

Dark days are finally gone.



I've just watched the movie Pursuing of Happyness and I like it alot. When one of the part said something, it made me regret just a little bit that I'm withdrawing from JC.

It goes something like that:

"Don't let anyone tell you that you cannot make it, not even me, your father."


Upon listening, I was motivated. But I told myself. Pursuing of happiness is one thing. Getting towards a goal is another thing. Nobody can tell me whether I can make it or not. It's still ultimately my decision, and the path I want to take.

And my goal now is to get into a University after my diploma, or get a private degree.



Another thing I would like to mention is the retaking of 'O' level Maths.

People asked me whether I will be retaking. My answer is no.

I don't see the point of retaking. Xi Boon and I worked so hard for Maths and we just got a D7. Other people who don't work as hard as us gets a B4 or a B3. Don't tell me my foundation is poor or something. One reason why I feel disappointed is because I scored a B in my 'N' levels.


What if the employer asks about my Maths grade you may say? Well, first and foremost I'm not stopping my education at 'O' levels but intend to further my studies all the way to at least a degree. I'm sure they will look at the highest qualification.

But if they really ask such a question, here is my reply:

"Employer, everyone is born differently. As you can see, I'm more of a humanities and language person, instead of a Maths and Science person."

Whether the employer decides to employ is another thing, but I feel that most of them will understand that everyone is born differently.

And about the problem that D7 looks ugly on the certification, well... I just feel that I've done my best, and I have no regrets, so I have no problem with it looking ugly on my certificate.

I realise that hard work doesn't necessarily pays off, especially to my Maths, and till now, I still think getting a D7 for my Maths is still an unjustifiable grade.

No comments: