Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Pursuit Of Happyness.

The movie, The Pursuit of Happyness had so much impact on me that I want to blog about it.

Allow me to recap the quotes that I will not forget:


"You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do it themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period."

"Don't ever let someone tell you, you can't do something."


The above quotes are so, so true..

The Pursuit of Happyness was a movie that was well-spent, as it taught me valuable things in life, especially during the period when I struggled with my unhappiness in Junior College.


Things I've learnt about this movie:

1. The perils of having a low education.
2. If you want something, go get it.
3. Nobody should influence you, not even your parents.
4. The harsh reality of present life.
5. Desperation leads to things that you've never knew you would do.


Speaking of desperation, I did something during the dark period which I thought I'll never do in my life.

At that point of time, with my desperation to leave Junior College and enter a polytechnic, I played truancy.

I was absent during the second day of orientation to go to various polytechnics to check out the courses and asked more about them. (I was supposed to leave officially on the first day of orientation, but due to some things which happened, I couldn't leave.)

In order to cover up, I went to a family clinic and cooked up some stories and got an Medical Certificate.

I absented myself from school and I had a very heavy heart and guilt, because it was the first time I played truancy in my whole life, and I wasn't genuinely sick.

But I asked myself this question, which only I could answer:

"Do you want to follow school rules for this time and HOPE that they will release you to go appeal to other institutions and risk not being able to ask for valuable information about courses and that it is the LAST DAY for the appeal, or do you want to be absent and be SURE that you will go to appeal to other institutions?"


I chose the second choice, and up till now I haven't regret that decision. But I told myself that this will be the first and last time I play truancy, unless for desperate and understanding situations.

I still can't believe I did all these things.


The movie taught me how life can force us into a desperate corner, and you have to juggle things wisely to turn tables around.


And I know I mentioned about nobody can influence you, not even your parents above the lessons I've learnt. People may disagree, but what I really meant was that parents can teach you ethnics and values, but they shouldn't tell you what you cannot do, and that they shouldn't tell you what occupation you should aim next time etc.

You still make decisions yourself ultimately, and the path is only yours. Allow me to give you an analogy: If a patient sees a doctor, and if the doctor prescribes medicine, it is still ultimately the choice whether the patient wants to consume the medicine or not. The medicine may or may not be effective towards you.


My mum regretted that she let me choose my own choice of schools, and that she should interfere with it.

No. If I choose my school and if anything goes wrong, I only have myself to blame. I might be fated to become a designer, but I can take other alternatives to achieve higher education. For me, I still say that once you're Primary 6, you should choose your own secondary school, your subject combinations and so on and so forth.


And yes, no one, not even my parents influenced my decision of going to a polytechnic. I only choose what I deem fit.



I will most likely blog about the scuba diving trip tomorrow. Those who receive pictures, I would appreciate if you put credit to me if you use the various scenery shots that I've took in some other websites. Thanks.

No comments: